Recent Projects: Seasonal Programmes
Ramadan: Feed the Fasting 2017
In Ramadan 2017, we have:
- Distributed food parcels to 3,430 beneficiaries in Syria.
- Provided cooked meals for 4,400 needy people in Syria.
- Distributed food parcels to 3,500 hungry people in Bangladesh.
- Delivered food parcels to 6,162 individuals in Somalia.
- Fed 2,150 vulnerable people in Sri Lanka.
Ramadan: Zakut-ul-Fitr 2016
Ramadan is the ninth month of the Muslim calendar, during which fasting is observed from sunrise to sunset. Ramadan offers an opportunity to gain Allah’s reward, mercy and blessings for each good action. The Prophet (pbuh) said: "A great and blessed month has cast a shadow on you and whoever performs an obligatory act of worship in it, he will be like a person who performed 70 obligatory acts of worship in other times”.
In 2016, we allocated £785,607 towards food parcels, Iftar meals and Zakat ul Fitr in 15 territories around the world targeting approximately 145,458 individuals, in order to ease the hardships faced by many families due to poverty, war and natural disasters and to help them observe the Holy month.
We were able to distribute food parcels to:
- 230 families in Satkhira District, Bangladesh
- 300 margainalised Muslim families in Bihar, India
- 700 poor Syrian refugee families in Jordan and 719 in Lebanon
- 1,000 disadvantaged Muslim families in Rakhine State, Myanmar
- 126 vulnerable families in Kaski District, Nepal
- 279 refugee families in Sayam camp in the Diffa region of Niger
- 655 families in the drought-stricken district of Tharparker, Pakistan
- 406 orphan families in Azad Jammu Kashmir, Pakisan
- 309 families in the slum areas of Karachi, Pakistan
- 4,800 vulnerable families in Gaza, Palestine
- 500 families in West Bank, Palestine
- 833 at-risk families in Jerusalem, Palestine
- 152 households in rural villages outside Dakar, Senegal
- 40 families in Lughaya District, Somaliland
- 200 Eritrean refugee families in East Sudan
- 10,070 families throughout Syria
- 700 families in Tunisia
- 395 families in Sanaa, Yemen
Winter Relief 2016
In winter 2015/2016, we were able to provide aid to 44,000 vulnerable people around the world.
SYRIA: Our winter campaign aimed to improve conditions for more than 10,000 Internally Displaced Persons living in camps in Idlib, Aleppo, and other vulnerable areas in Syria. We were able to provide 4,940 needy families with winter kits, and decrease cases of cold-weather related illnesses such as flu and bacterial infections.
The project managed to cover more than 20 camps in different Syrian governorates, and the items distributed included:
- More than 1,430 food parcels
- 4,200 kits for children containing jackets, underwear, boots, gloves, scarves, and hats
- 1,750 warm clothing kits for women and 1,750 kits for men
- 2,000 warm blankets and 2,000 mattresses
- 1,450 litres of fuel distributed among 1,400 families
In total, 32,100 individuals received potentially lifesaving aid to get them through the cold winter months.
PAKISTAN: The Azad Kashmir region has suffered numerous flash floods and earthquakes, that have seriously affected bridges, water canals, schools, and farms. Recent heavy snowfall and cold weather has exacerbated the issues of acute poverty already faced by the people of Azad Kashmir, particularly in Bagh and Muzaffarabad.
Through the Winter Relief project, we have provided blankets and warm clothes to orphans and their families, targeting 199 particularly vulnerable families. 1,492 individual beneficiaries were reached and Human Appeal also rebuilt 3 houses for families whose homes were not fit for habitation in the winter months.
PALESTINE: Families in Gaza heavily rely on humanitarian support for their survival, particularly in the winter months. This year, we provided warm clothes and other cold-weather essentials to 5,000 people in the Gaza area.
SOUTH LEBANON: In the Kafarshouba and Kafarhamam refugee camps of South Lebanon, over 125,000 Syrians are living in cramped conditions, with little or no sanitation facilities and only tents to shelter them from the elements.
As part of our Winter Relief project, we helped 2,450 Syrian refugees survive the cold weather by providing them with warm clothes, blankets, mattresses, and heating oil.
YEMEN: With the help of funding from United Muslim Relief, we were able to help 1,680 vulnerable people in Yemen. The conflict in Yemen is ongoing, and Yemenis are suffering hardships caused by damaged homes, schools and hospitals, and a crippled economic situation. We focussed on families living in conflict zones and internally displaced people. We distributed 280 double blankets to those in desperate need.
Every year, Human Appeal distributes Qurbani meat to the poor on behalf of our donors, to mark the Islamic festival of Eid-ul-Adha.
This year, our Qurbani meat distributions reached 1.3 million people in 17 countries, ensuring that the world’s neediest people received fresh meat quickly and safely. More people than ever have donated to the 2016 Qurbani appeal, and this generous support has allowed us to spread joy throughout the festive period.
We were able to provide vulnerable families with fresh meat in:
- Sri Lanka
- United Kingdom