Who receives Zakat?
The recipients of Zakat
In the Holy Qur’an (9:60), the people who have the right to receive Zakat and legal uses of Zakat are described by Allah (swt).
- The poor: Those who have no income.
- The needy: Those who may have income, but it is less than they need.
- Distributors of Zakat: Those who identify the destitute and handle Zakat.
- Sympathisers: Those who might enter or who have already entered Islam.
- Freeing slaves: Used to ransom a slave.
- Debtors: Those unable to pay off a debt.
- Struggling for the sake of Allah (swt): Used to benefit humanity and convey the message of Islam.
- Travellers: Those travelling and in need.